Home JARDINES CAMPO DEL MORO
Campo del Moro ParkAustrias
After many failed attempts to build this garden, the final impetus for the realization of the gardens took place in 1844, when Agustín Argüelles Alvarez (1776-1884), tutor to Queen Elizabeth II during his minority, and Martin de los Heros (1783-1859), mayor of Royal Heritage commissioned the chief architect of the palace, Narciso Pascual y Colomer (1808-1870), a new design.
Said architect, author also of the layout of the Plaza de Oriente, planned as a hub building a great avenue between the Royal Palace and the Paseo de la Virgen del Puerto. This not only saved the steep, but enhanced the view of the western facade of the building.
The importance of this axis was underlined with the installation of two monumental sources, Seashell, brought the Palacio del Infante Don Luis (Boadilla del Monte, Madrid), and the Tritons, whose original location was the Garden Island (Aranjuez, Madrid).
Work on the gardens were suspended after the triumph of the revolution of 1868, known as the Glorious, and the subsequent exile of Queen Elizabeth II. They could definitely resume in the last decade of the nineteenth century, during the regency of Maria Cristina of Hapsburg, when it came to planting 9,500 trees (including 400 palm trees) and 20,800 shrubs (of which 12,000 were rosebushes) under address gardener Ramon Oliva.
In 1898 they were raised within the enclosure different wooden houses, made in Tyrolean style. The architect and gardener Enrique Maria Repullés, who also designed the decoration of the grotto designed by Juan de Villanueva should.
During the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) due to its proximity to the Madrid front, the Campo del Moro suffered major damage. It was restored in the forties of the twentieth century and, in 1960, a new building in its interior, which is home to the Carriage Museum of Madrid was built.
The gardens are inhabited by 70 species of trees. Some specimens are more than 150 years, if an Aleppo pine over 30 meters high. Also noted for its age and size a pine, a sequoia and two yews.
In the Campo del Moro inhabit numerous birds, composed of species characteristic of the parks, such as the peacock, pheasant, dove and pigeon.
Príncipe Pío Station (lines 6, 10 and R)
Ópera Station (lines 2, 5 and R)
BUS LINE (Interactive MAP)
25, 33, 39, 41, 46, 62, 75, 138, C1, C2
October – March: Mon – Sun: 10.00am – 6.00pm
April – September: Mon – Sun: 10.00am – 8.00pm
What to do...?Shopping, Dining, typical bars ...
RESTAURANTS & BARS