Home National Museum of Natural Sciences
National Museum of Nature and Science
Tuesdays to Fridays, Sundays and holidays from 10 to 17 hours.
Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays before 10 to 20 hours.
Saturdays in July and August from 10 to 15 hours.
The Museum is closed every Monday of the year except holidays, 1 and 6 January, 1 May and December 25th.
Ticket office hours
The overall box office will be open until 30 minutes before the Museum closes.
General admission: € 7.
Reduced admission: 3 € (students, unemployed and children 4 to 16 years).
Input large family: 50% reduction.
Group entry: 3 €, see more activity input Packs.
Free admission: retired at age 65 and children under 4 years.
Experimentárea: 5 €.
Children’s workshop / Story: € 5. For children aged 3-8 years.
José Gutiérrez Abascal, 2. 28006 Madrid
Teléfono: +34 91 411 1328
Gregorio Marañón, Nuevos Ministerios, Ríos Rosas and República Argentina stations.
Lines 7, 12, 14, 27, 40, 45, 147 y 150.
Nuevos Ministerios Station.
More information in:
Historyof the Museum
The current National Museum of Natural Sciences was created by King Carlos III, in 1771, as Royal Cabinet of Natural History. Throughout history it has changed its name: Royal Museum of Natural Sciences in 1815, in 1847 by the Natural History Museum in 1857 by Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid.
Initial funding of the Royal Cabinet of Natural History consisted of the excellent collections and library owned by Pedro Franco Dávila, natural Guayaquil Spanish merchant who lives in Paris, which ceded to the Spanish Crown.
In 1788 a great museological assembly is performed: the reconstruction of Megatherium Megatherium americanum skeleton with fossil pieces sent by a missionary from Lujan (Argentina). It was the first reconstruction and installation of a fossil vertebrate in Europe and its impact was so great that the record of this assembly and its consequences ranging from 1788 to 1931. The piece is also exhibited in the Museum today.
Royal Cabinet remained closed from service and the French invasion of 1808. It was plundered by the troops of Napoleon, at the start of his retirement in 1813, and his own taxidermist, Frenchman Pascal Moineau. In 1814 activity resumed Cabinet and the French government claimed the stolen items. The return the following year, was incomplete.
In 1867 the Museum is dismembered and its collections are bunched together and with few resources to work until Ignacio Bolivar in 1901 he was appointed director. Museum Bolivar found new headquarters, though shared with the School of Industrial Engineers (ETII), in the Exhibition of Arts and Industry built in 1887. Started the National Museum of Natural Sciences (MNCN) as a inseparably national center dedicated to the conservation objectives and nature documentaries, the advancement of knowledge through research, and the extension of this knowledge through exhibitions and courses. funds In times of Bolivar remarkably improved the Museum’s collections in quantity and quality.
The MNCN of Madrid was one of eight in the world in 1913 were reproductions carnegiei skeleton of Diplodocus, a large herbivorous dinosaur from the Jurassic of Wyoming, sponsored by A. Carnegie.
The Civil War in 1936 caused a further decline to MNCN. A serious disorder, damage and losses were suffered in collections. In late 1984, the CSIC Board of Governors adopted a resolution to restructure the National Museum of Natural Sciences, merging into it the Spanish Institutes of Entomology and Geology Madrid.