Home PALACIO DE LOS DEPORTES
Palacio de Deportes de la Comunidad de Madrid, called since July 2014 Barclaycard Center by sponsorship reasons, is an indoor sporting arena located in the City of Madrid. Its capacity is 13,000 people for basketball matches, 14,000 for handball matches and 15,500 for concerts (with standing public ramp).
The former building, which was built in 1960, was destroyed by a fire in 2001. Architects Enrique Hermoso and Paloma Huidobro projected a High-Tech style new arena that was built at the same place between 2002 and 2005.
The arena hosted two major international basketball events in the first decade of the 21st century. The arena will be the Final venue for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup and the Euroleague Final Four 2015.
Until the late 19th century, the area where the Sports Centre was an area of orchards on the perimeter of the city, in Goya street below, the edge of the extension that had been done at the behest of Marques de Salamanca. In 1872 the then mayor of Madrid, Count of TorenoLaid the foundation stone of a new bull ring, since the old, located next to the Puerta de Alcalá, was demolished for the construction of new neighborhood. Two years later, on 4 September 1874 opened the square style was neomudéjar and was designed by architects Álvarez Lorenzo Capra and Emilio Rodríguez Ayuso.
Due to increasing population of the city and the great love of bullfighting existing in Madrid, the square was small and 1931 opened a new arena, the Monumental Sales next to Abroñigal stream. For three years the new plaza was virtually unused, so it continued to hold bullfights in the former. The last was held on 14 October 1934. A week later, on 21 October, was formally inaugurated the Plaza de Las Ventas. La Plaza de Goya street history of the Palace of Sports was demolished a few days later.
The site remained empty for years given the state of penury in which the country found itself after the Civil War and the postwar years. Finally, 1952, Mayor José María Gutiérrez del Castillo promoted the construction of an indoor arena such as already exist in other European capitals. In 1953 a competition was held for the completion of the palace. In 1956 the National Sports Delegation, Opted for the project by architects José Soteras and Lorenzo García Barbon, authors Palacio de los Deportes de Barcelona.
The palace was inaugurated in 1960. In 1969 it was expanded with basketball courts, cycling, hockey and athletics. In 1985 ownership of the Palace was transferred to the Comunidad de Madrid, Who undertook a comprehensive reform of the building.
During the 41-year life of this first Palacio de los Deportes gathered inside a number of sports competitions basketball, athletics, boxing, handball, martial arts, cycling and gymnasticsAs well as Equestrian, skating, hockey and up trial. Hosted the Real Madrid of 1986 until 1998 and Students of 1987 to the fire.
On June 28, 2001, the Sports Centre suffered a fire and was in ruins. After the fire, the Comunidad de Madrid decided to build a new building in the same place. It was designed by architects Enrique Hermoso and Paloma Huidobro. He took advantage of the former building of the structure, particularly the facade of the Plaza de Salvador Dalí and Avenida de Felipe II and the back of the Calle Fuente del Berro. It was inaugurated February 16 of 2005. It has a variable capacity depending on the configuration to be adopted.
What to do...?Shopping, Dining, typical bars ...
RESTAURANTS & BARS